PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, September 19, 2011

Be Thankful or Complain

I never remember to blog over here or copy blog posts over to this blog. And when I do think about it, my latest posts usually contain pictures, so I can't post them over here anyway. Since it had been so long since I updated, I decided to just copy over a random post from my other blog. It was written back in May.

There's a story behind it, but that isn't the point of this entry so I won't go into it. But, we now have DVR. Jen has been recording Oprah each day for a week or so now for the end of her run on her show. We are sitting here tonight watching a couple of those episodes that she had on here. For anyone who saw the show this past week, we just watched the episode with the Rowandan (sp?) family that was separated in the mass killing, the mother who had cancer and made all the videos for her daughter, and the divorced family. Here is the summary of that episode. And then now we are watching the episode with the lady who was burned alive after a drunk driver hit her and lost her face and had to have it rebuilt (Jacqui Saburido), Mattie Stepanek, and Dr. Tererai Trent. Here is the link to the article that summarizes that episode, in case you are interested.

As I've sat here crying through these episodes, it just keeps hitting me again and again- What the heck have I ever complained about???? WHY have I complained? These people have suffered through so much and have had such pure JOY in their lives. I am SO blessed. So blessed. I have everything! These people could spend their days complaining and moaning and groaning because of all they've been through, but they don't! I have so very, very much, and yet I complain all day long. I am forever telling Christa, "You're probably sick of me complaining all the time." I seriously must tell her that multiple times a week. Watching these episodes has totally convicted me. I want to remember these stories, these people, when I go to complain.

Yes, I realize we all need time to vent and complain. I don't think it is bad by any means to do so. It's just part of human nature. I don't look down upon ANYONE who complains because, as I've said, I complain all stinkin' day long. But I spend far too much time focusing on the bad. Even if I'm not trying to focus on the bad by complaining, I really sort of am with what I say. Or I am forcing others who hear me to focus on the bad. I don't want to do that anymore. I want to be more thankful for all that God has blessed me with. Because I am B-L-E-S-S-E-D, blessed, blessed. So blessed. I want to focus on that. Not the so called "bad" things in my life. I have got it made! And yet I still complain.

The lady who was burned in her car said that she only allows herself to cry for 5 minutes a day. She will be crying, "Oh look at my face. Oh how I wish I looked like I used to," or something to that effect, and then she will say, "Okay, you're five minutes are over. You're done." Lol. I love that! She did say when she revisited Oprah this year that she now allows herself to cry for longer than that, but still. I love the principle of that. Only focus on the bad long enough to get it out of your system and then MOVE ON. Can I get an "Amen"?

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for the comments!

 
© 2011 Infusion Design Studios